Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Doctor at His Daughter’s Hospital Bed

".............I know about stuff like septic shock because for more than 20 years I was a transplant surgeon, and some of our patients got incredibly sick after surgery. So when I’m sitting in an I.C.U. in Omaha terrified that Natalie, my 17-year-old daughter, might die, I know what I’m talking about. I tell the nurse that Natalie needs to get another slug of intravenous fluids, and fast. 

 The nurse says she’ll call the doctor. Fifteen minutes later I find her in the lounge at a computer, and over her shoulder I see a screen full of makeup products. When I ask if we can get that fluid going, I startle her. She says she called the resident and told him the vital signs, but that he thought things were stable.

 “He said to hold off for now,” she says. 

 “Get me two bags of saline. Now,” I tell her. 

 She says, “I’m calling my supervisor,” and she runs out of the lounge.

......................................."

Read beautiful article: here

(link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/opinion/sunday/a-doctor-at-his-daughters-hospital-bed.html?_r=1 )

No comments:

Post a Comment