Answer: The International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine has designated following fives stages of hypothermia mostly to guide prehospital rescuers to estimate the severity of hypothermia (HT).
- HT I - Mild - Shivering but normal mental status - Estimated core temperature 32 to 35°C
- HT II - Moderate - No shivering but altered mental status - Estimated core temperature 28 to 32°C
- HT III - Severe - Unconscious patients -Estimated core temperature 24 to 28°C
- HT IV - Severe - Apparent death - Estimated Core temperature 13.7 to 24°C - resuscitation may be possible
- HT V - Death - Irreversible hypothermia. Core temperature - less than 9 to 13.7°C - resuscitation not possible.