Answer: As per World Society of Abdominal Compartment Syndrome (WSACS), bladder pressure should be be measured
- in a supine position (head of the bed no more than 20 degrees)
- at end-expiration (absence of active abdominal muscle contraction)
- transducer zeroed at the iliac crest in the mid-axillary line
- Not more than 25 ml of saline should be instilled
- wait 30 to 60 seconds after instillation to record the pressure (allow the detrusor muscle to relax).
Malbrain ML, Cheatham ML, Kirkpatrick A, Sugrue M, Parr M, De Waele J, Balogh Z, Leppaniemi A, Olvera C, Ivatury R, D'Amours S, Wendon J, Hillman K, Johansson K, Kolkman K, Wilmer A: Results from the international conference of experts on intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome. I. definitions. Intensive Care Med 32: 1722–1732, 2006