Octreotide can be an important adjunct therapy in chylothorax. It works via two mechanisms
- decrease the volume of fluid within the thoracic duct by inhibiting gastric, pancreatic, and biliary secretions, and
- inhibiting absorption of chyle from the intestine
1. Kalomenidis I. Octreotide and chylothorax. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2006; 12:264.
2. Al-Zubairy SA, Al-Jazairi AS. Octreotide as a therapeutic option for management of chylothorax. Ann Pharmacother 2003; 37:679.
3. Evans J, Clark MF, Mincher L, Varney VA. Chylous effusions complicating lymphoma: a serious event with octreotide as a treatment option. Hematol Oncol 2003; 21:77.