Close monitoring of pupillary changes is an integral and essential part of the management of hepatic encephalopathy as it signifies the level of increased intracranial pressure.
- A normal response = grade I encephalopathy
- Hyperresponsive = grade II to III encephalopathy
- Slowly responsive = grade III to IV encephalopathy
- Fixed and dilated = probable brainstem herniation
1. Shawcross DL, Wendon JA. The neurological manifestations of acute liver failure. Neurochem Int. 2012 Jun;60(7):662-71.
2. Eelco F.M. Wijdicks, M.D., Ph.D. .N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1660-1670