A) Beginning of inhalation
B) Beginning of exhalation
An end-tidal CO2 is basically a simple graphic measurement of how much CO2 a person is exhaling, so it is the amount of CO2 at the beginning of the inhalation, a peak with maximum CO2. Although ET-CO2 is used in a wide range of pathologies, in ICU they are very helpful in
- Verification and maintenance of placement of the endotracheal tube (ETT)
- Effectiveness of CPR
- Indicator of ROSC during chest compressions
- Determining the adequacy of ventilation
2. DiCorpo JE, Schwester D, Dudley LS, et al. A wave as a window. Using waveform capnography to achieve a bigger physiological patient picture. JEMS. 2015;40(11):32-35.
3. Link MS, Berkow LC, Kudenchuk PJ, et al. Part 7: Adult advanced cardiovascular life support: 2015 American Heart Association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation. 2015;132(18 Suppl 2):S444-464.
4. Gravenstein JS, Jaffe MB, Gravenstein N, et al., editors. Capnography. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2011.