Few things are relatively less know about VZV infection.
- Humans are the only known hosts of VZV infection
- VZV is transmitted in humans by droplet and airborne routes
- VZV is very labile and unlikely to be transmitted by inanimate objects
1. Weber DJ, Rutala WA, Hamilton H. Prevention and control of varicella-zoster infections in healthcare facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996; 17:694
2. Bloch KC, Johnson JG. Varicella zoster virus transmission in the vaccine era: unmasking the role of herpes zoster. J Infect Dis. 2012;205(9):1331-1333. doi:10.1093/infdis/jis214