Q: Name at least five off label uses of Pregabalin?
Answer: Pregabalin has been used in inpatient as well as outpatient settings for various reasons. FDA has approved its use for diabetic neuropathic pain, postherpetic neuralgia, as adjunctive therapy for partial-onset seizures in adults, fibromyalgia, and for neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury. But it has been found to be useful for various other reasons. Doses should be checked before prescribing for off-label use.
- chronic refractory cough
- generalized anxiety disorder
- postoperative pain
- chronic pruritus
- restless legs syndrome
- social anxiety disorder
- vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause
1. Vertigan AE, Kapela SL, Ryan NM, Birring SS, McElduff P, Gibson PG. Pregabalin and speech pathology combination therapy for refractory chronic cough: a randomized controlled trial. Chest. 2016;149(3):639-648. doi: 10.1378/chest.15-1271
2. Baldwin DS, Anderson IM, Nutt DJ, et al. Evidence-based pharmacological treatment of anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder: a revision of the 2005 guidelines from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol. 2014;28(5):403-439. doi: 10.1177/0269881114525674.
3. Chou R, Gordon DB, de Leon-Casasola OA, et al. Management of postoperative pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists' Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive Committee, and Administrative Council [published correction appears in J Pain. 2016;17(4):508-510]. J Pain. 2016;17(2):131-157. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2015.12.008
4. Garcia-Borreguero D, Kohnen R, Silber MH, et al. The long-term treatment of restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease: evidence-based guidelines and clinical consensus best practice guidance: a report from the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group. Sleep Medicine. 2013;14(7):675-684. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2013.05.016
5. Matsuda KM, Sharma D, Schonfeld AR, Kwatra SG. Gabapentin and pregabalin for the treatment of chronic pruritus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;75(3):619-625.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2016.02.1237.
6. Feltner DE, Liu-Dumaw M, Schweizer E, Bielski R. Efficacy of pregabalin in generalized social anxiety disorder: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, fixed-dose study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011;26(4):213-220. doi: 10.1097/YIC.0b013e32834519bd
7. Nguyen ML. The use of pregabalin in the treatment of hot flashes. Can Pharm J (Ott). 2013;146(4):193-196. doi:10.1177/1715163513490636