Q: Which endocrine drug is reported to have benefit in peripartum cardiomyopathy (PPCM)?
Although data is small but preliminary results are strong and have shown that early start of bromocriptine in PPCM as an adjuvant treatment help markedly in recovery of left ventricular function 2, 3, 4, 5 . This assumption came from the animal data that inhibition of prolactin secretion, prevents the development of PPCM in mice 1.
1. Hilfiker-Kleiner D, Kaminski K, Podewski E, et al. A cathepsin D-cleaved 16 kDa form of prolactin mediates postpartum cardiomyopathy. Cell 2007; 128:589.
2. Sliwa K, Blauwet L, Tibazarwa K, et al. Evaluation of bromocriptine in the treatment of acute severe peripartum cardiomyopathy: a proof-of-concept pilot study. Circulation 2010; 121:1465.
3. Habedank D, Kühnle Y, Elgeti T, et al. Recovery from peripartum cardiomyopathy after treatment with bromocriptine. Eur J Heart Fail 2008; 10:1149.
4. Haghikia A, Podewski E, Libhaber E, et al. Phenotyping and outcome on contemporary management in a German cohort of patients with peripartum cardiomyopathy. Basic Res Cardiol 2013; 108:366.
5. Carlin AJ, Alfirevic Z, Gyte GM. Interventions for treating peripartum cardiomyopathy to improve outcomes for women and babies. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; :CD008589.